Saturday, September 1, 2007

ReNe: japanese festival

I was actually fairly excited initially (because I am quite a japanophile), but I was also a little wary of what to expect. The blurb I read in a newsletter was raving about various performances by various people, highlighting one by the only non-japanese geisha (an american lady, I think). There's a lot more to Japan than geishas, but sometimes when I flip through 'culture shock' books written by the westerners, I've noticed that it is one of main aspects of Japan culture that utterly fascinates them. To be fair, however, there are also sumo demonstrations and tea ceremonies.

But I had also heard that the Missouri Botannical Gardens, where the festival is held, is gorgeous and quite famous, so it would be a worthwhile trip either way.

Again I arranged to meet some friends, this time Rene (Shiuling), Chialing and her family. Initially we thought we would have to pay $10 admission, but it turned out that as DBBS students, Rene and I were able to buy $3 tickets for the adults and Chialing's 2 kids got in free.


The climatron, at least I think that's what it's called. It's a very nice landmark to orient yourself by as you walk around the park. I didn't focus on the park itself as I was there for the festival. Pictures are below.

Top spinning.



Bonsai. I really like bonsais; I think they look very elegant. My favorite collection is the one at the Japanese Imperial Gardens in Tokyo.

Booths selling japanese stuff: kimono, yukata (made in India), trinklets, jewellery, books about Japan, japanese looking display cases... However, I didn't see the 'lucky cat', a white and red porcelain figurine of a cat with one paw up-stretched that is ubiquitous in Japan.


My favorite picture of the day.

Overall, it was not too bad. I think I missed a lot because I only stayed for a couple of hours, but it was rather crowded and sunny. Moreover, there was nothing new or interesting for me; I would rather go back to Japan again, if I wanted a taste of Japanese culture.

2 comments:

Unmasked said...

Hey Serene!

Cool. I s'pose the goldfish there have learnt to levitate themselves and survive without water... oh wait, that's just a blue basket submerged in very clean water.

What is in the climatron, btw? Is it like a biosphere, an artificial closed-ecological system like the one in Oracle, Arizona?

rene said...

Yo Law,

To be frank, the actual goldfish in the basket didn't look as cool. It just looks like a big plastic tub with goldfish and carp, the goldfish separated by the basket. Exactly like the kind you might find in a Lim Chu Kang fish farm. Except maybe not so smelly.

Dunno actually. I didn't go into that dome thingy, but I suppose it's just like a biosphere.

I do plan to go back to take a look one day, probably in fall, since entry is free for Wash U students.