Sunday, September 30, 2007

ReNe: genetics retreat

On Friday morning, I went to the Genetics retreat. It's basically a one and half day event at some nice resort couple of hours out of town, where various senior students present their work in talks and posters. The really nice thing is that everything's free. =)

[On a side note, since the retreat started at 10:30am, and my ride's at 8:30am over at the Danforth campus, I had to wake up at 6:40am! That's the earliest time I've woken up since coming to the US.]

Overall, it was a great experience. A little daunting, when looking at the quality of the work presented, but also inspiring.

Very nice room. I'd say the place, Cedar Creek Conference Center, is at least a 3-star. Basic toiletries were provided.

When I wasn't indoors listening to talks or doing homework (yes, I actually brought homework to do during the 'free time' as these retreats are attended on our own time and the profs wouldn't give us leeway because of this), I was out walking. The resort brochure claimed that this is a hiking trail, but as the picture shows, it was hardly arduous. And yes, I did see some horses.

Looks nice, doesn't it? The lake's man-made though, so that takes the shine off it a bit.

Apparently, one can go boating...

Very 'wild west' in theme, the conference center...

After the poster session at night, it was party time. One of the salons was opened for us, with a free bar (beers and soft drinks only though). At first I sat outside, where a bonfire was set up. It was pretty fun, actually. Some people brought a guitar, fiddle and banjo, and they were playing reels and jigs. After a while, it got quite nippy so I went in. A different sort of music was playing, and people were dancing, playing cards, or shooting pool. Even the faculty joined in, and that was really cool.

No comments: