Wednesday, September 12, 2007

MiKE: Stressed(?)

I think I am feeling stressed: lots of admin things to do, courses to sign up for, which may or may not turn out to be what the course description in the bulletin says it is supposed to be.

And the problem comes when one tries to put together a suitable course selection that will be helpful for one's thesis. Or else one has to do so much more extra reading to get everything glued up together.

So, my stress comes from, right here and now, having to come up with a suitably productive research question that I can take with me for the next 4-5 years, and will allow me enough substance for a study that can give me a PhD thesis.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

How about something to do with seperate teaching and learning systems between the sexes due to biological differences?

mike said...

uh, gender differences not very fashionable nowadays, and I think also that in some feminists would not like studies like this, because it unnecessarily brings attention to something that might have its roots in culture more than biology. Also, the risk for essentialising subjects becomes too great.

But it's a thought, and i appreciate that. Thanks!