Thursday, September 13, 2007

MiKE: view from my window


Well, this is the view from my window. Not directly out my window; I face another building (looks like the office floors of a taller block) which is not particularly pretty, but as my windows face north I am glad for the building's existence as it reflects a lot of light into my room, even though the walls are somewhat grey and not the most well maintained.

A few things about this picture though: firstly, the buildings are University of Toronto property, as you can see (or not, sorry, saving space) from the blue sign in front of the building. I dunno what department uses these buildings.

secondly, this picture was taken some days ago, but right now as I am writing, the view looks exactly like this, or brighter. And the time now is 5:11, and it will not get dark for another 2 or so hours. And this is somewhat related to the previous post: You'd think that with this degree of solar illumination, that the place would be somewhat warm, or, at least, not cold. A couple of hours ago, I went next door to post off a mail. Well, cold is relative I guess, but the temperature now is in the low 20s. Which is quite comfortable. But when the sun goes AWOL behind the clouds, for example, this temperature quickly drops 5-10C. I'd never thought that I'd miss the sun so much.

Thirdly, this has been the view for me for the last few days - I've been lazy, and not wanting to go out to eat because it's expensive (more so than if I cooked for myself) and it is a trouble having to put on clothes to go out. No, not as if I spend my days naked in the room, but the downer of having to go out is also having lots of clothes to wash. And did I mention that I was lazy? Yeah, so if I did not really have to, I've been staying at home. Which is a better place, I think, than some other rooms I've seen, like Graduate House, or a friend's rental room, which are just rooms, with a small porthole of a window.

Now I think I am getting how people can get SAD, and I am not talking about being unhappy, but what is known as Seasonal Affective Disorder.

No comments: