Saturday, September 1, 2007

ReNe: seasons are turning

Coming from a place where the weather never really changes, experiencing the turn of seasons is quite novel for me.

A month ago, the sun starts to set around 8pm, and it gets fully dark at 8:30pm. Now, the sun starts to set at 7:30pm and it's fully dark by 8pm.

Oddly enough, it didn't seem, to me at least, a gradual transition, though it probably is. I just noticed it one day when I was at Schnucks, a supermarket near where I live. Normally I try to make it home before dark (for safety reasons), and I suddenly realized that the sun is setting earlier when I stepped out of the store and it was almost dark. Glancing at my watch, it just hit me -- days are getting shorter.

What is not a gradual transition though, and this is not simply my own observation, are the temperature changes. People say spring (or summer or fall or winter) can suddenly arrive; one day the temperature just changes dramatically. I noticed it today. Woke up with my feet *really* cold. It remained noticeably cooler throughout the day, even though it was as sunny as yesterday.

Perhaps this is a trivial observation for some and hardly noteworthy, but I found it interesting. Maybe I won't find it quite so interesting next year.

No comments: