Today was relaxed and quiet. Woke up late, had a late breakfast and then a late lunch, went for a haircut and then a cycle (yeah, I bought a bike a while back, more about that in another post).
How boring is that?
The haircut was vaguely significant I guess. It's our first haircut in Toronto, both mine and Mike's. We had a 'last haircut' late July last year, just before we left Singapore, thinking we want to try growing our hair long. Since long hair on males is terribly frowned upon in Singapore. Since then, his hair grew a disappointing 3-5 inches, and he didn't look all that good with long hair.

In contrast, mine grew and grew. I had a trim in St Louis last November, when I couldn't take it anymore, and it was all right for a while. My hair eventually reached just below my shoulder blades. Then about last week, I got irritated with it again, because my hair is not just long, it's thick and a little dry. There would be hair everywhere -- "I am on your floor, messing it up; I am in your drain, clogging it up" and hair would get caught when I turn over at night. Have I said it started to feel really thick and heavy?
We were starting to look like hippies.
You know that odd phenomenon where, all of a sudden, you feel this intense urge to lop everything off? Hair that is. And you make plans to go to the salon the next day, first thing after finishing breakfast. But when next day arrives, you start to drag your feet a little. You think, wow, it's a major decision... it's a lot of hair. You measure it, with a free IKEA paper tape measure, and it's about ten inches from the shoulder. That's ...a lot of hair. You lift up the mass in your hands, admire the glossy tail in the mirror...
But eventually, we cut it, in a salon in K-town (we figured that a Korean salon would know better how to handle Asian hair, and would also be cheaper). Mike's hairdresser was a silent guy, cute in a full-lipped and heavy-banged way. Mine was like a Japanese photo-sticker machine, the kind that goes "NEOPRINT!" Loud, pink and genki.
The salon was on the second floor, and as we made our way up the stairs, she leaned out of the door jam, saw us and beamed.
"HELLO!"
The oh's reverberated through the stairwell.
I created quite a sizable mess on the floor. Overall, the haircuts were ok. Not terribly stylish but then they were also very cheap ($40 for the two of us). Sorry, no pictures of our new haircuts today.
How boring is that?
The haircut was vaguely significant I guess. It's our first haircut in Toronto, both mine and Mike's. We had a 'last haircut' late July last year, just before we left Singapore, thinking we want to try growing our hair long. Since long hair on males is terribly frowned upon in Singapore. Since then, his hair grew a disappointing 3-5 inches, and he didn't look all that good with long hair.

In contrast, mine grew and grew. I had a trim in St Louis last November, when I couldn't take it anymore, and it was all right for a while. My hair eventually reached just below my shoulder blades. Then about last week, I got irritated with it again, because my hair is not just long, it's thick and a little dry. There would be hair everywhere -- "I am on your floor, messing it up; I am in your drain, clogging it up" and hair would get caught when I turn over at night. Have I said it started to feel really thick and heavy?We were starting to look like hippies.
You know that odd phenomenon where, all of a sudden, you feel this intense urge to lop everything off? Hair that is. And you make plans to go to the salon the next day, first thing after finishing breakfast. But when next day arrives, you start to drag your feet a little. You think, wow, it's a major decision... it's a lot of hair. You measure it, with a free IKEA paper tape measure, and it's about ten inches from the shoulder. That's ...a lot of hair. You lift up the mass in your hands, admire the glossy tail in the mirror...
But eventually, we cut it, in a salon in K-town (we figured that a Korean salon would know better how to handle Asian hair, and would also be cheaper). Mike's hairdresser was a silent guy, cute in a full-lipped and heavy-banged way. Mine was like a Japanese photo-sticker machine, the kind that goes "NEOPRINT!" Loud, pink and genki.
The salon was on the second floor, and as we made our way up the stairs, she leaned out of the door jam, saw us and beamed.
"HELLO!"
The oh's reverberated through the stairwell.
I created quite a sizable mess on the floor. Overall, the haircuts were ok. Not terribly stylish but then they were also very cheap ($40 for the two of us). Sorry, no pictures of our new haircuts today.
No comments:
Post a Comment