Monday, April 7, 2008

ReNe: 2001 and sunshine

Coincidentally, the last 2 shows we watched were 2001: A Space Odyssey and Sunshine.

2001 was a 1968 sci-fi film, directed by Stanley Kubrick and written by Kubrick and Arthur C Clarke. It's widely considered a classic, and with Clarke's recent passing, I was reminded that I've never seen this film. It's very different from the usual Hollywood fare, I'd say. Very dramatic, but in an understated way. It's scientifically accurate and rather slow-paced. Interestingly, the film probably also tried to portray a 60's image of space-travel in 2001, and the first thing that struck me was the 'retro' style, all rounded and matte plastic.

Sunshine, in comparison, was released last year. Directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland, the plot revolves around a crew on a mission to re-ignite the sun. It was supposed to be a sci-fi film, but halfway through, one could be forgiven for thinking it was a slasher/mystery.

I couldn't help but contrast the two. Both are sci-fi films but they have almost a 40-year difference. One was the obvious styles differences: Sunshine was a lot faster-paced and adrenaline-pumping than 2001. Sunshine's spaceship was a lot grittier and darker, all steel and shiny to 2001's white plastic. The onboard computer was bland, nothing at all like 2001's psychopathic HAL. I like the 'oxygen garden' idea on Sunshine, and the overall idea of sustainability on a long space mission. I like the attention to technical details in 2001, while such details were passed over in favor of dramatic action in Sunshine. Another obvious difference was the crew -- 2001's American/Russian vs Sunshine's American/Chinese.

The third difference I noticed was 2001's optimism (about space travel) to Sunshine's pessimism. Well, it's not quite pessimism, but Sunshine was a lot gloomier, though it's main message is that of hope. 2001's vision of space travel was romantic and utopian, while Sunshine's vision was more prosaic, almost even dystopian. I think it says something interesting about the current attitudes towards space travel as compared to the (some say naive and unsustainable) euphoria of the 60s.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I actually like the two films. I suppose I do. Certainly they were interesting, though for different reasons. Sunshine was interesting because of the actual plot; 2001 was interesting as a historical window.

No comments: