Saturday, April 19, 2008

ReNe: about packing

It seems as if, to compensate for the longer-than-usual winter, we're skittering over spring, almost rushing headlong into summer. Temperatures yesterday were in the teens, hitting a high of 24C, and I was walking around in a short-sleeved T-shirt; about a month ago, the temperature was still 0C. Right now, the temperature is 15C.

Anyway, it was time to wash and pack the winter jackets and cold weather gear. I think we might need more storage boxes; winter clothing is really bulky. We have three long, skinny boxes that fit under the bed and I could keep all our summer stuff, light jackets, even a spare pillow in those boxes. Now, our winter jackets take up one box each. Worried about the down fill compressing, we packed the jackets lightly lengthwise in the box, sleeves folded over like vampires in a coffin.

Speaking of storage, we're currently looking for a new place. Not because of storage really, but with our tight budget, we're constantly on the lookout for 'cheap', 'good' and 'conveniently located' rentals. I know one usually chooses two out of three but I still maintain some hope.

And now that our lease will be up soon, we're listing out all the attributes that we want. First we had to decide if we want to stay in a bachelor or move 'up' to a one-bedroom. Mike would like more space but I think it's all a matter of better packing and better organization. Surprisingly enough, I really like living in a bachelor. It's cheap, cozy and very easy to keep clean. The money saved by not renting a one-bedroom can probably be put to better use. Storage, of course, is quite a challenge but I find that fun, in a way. And while our current living space is cramped by North American standards, it's not so bad compared to some Singaporean flats and even spacious relative to many places in Asia; for example, Kyoichi Tsuzuki's iconic Tokyo: A Certain Style, with its pictures of cramped living spaces in Tokyo, show what it really means to have a cramped room in which somebody lives in. I look at examples like those and feel inspired -- there's obviously still much room for creative organization. However, it's not that I want to have so much stuff in my life, quite the contrary actually, but that space can be much better utilized and that one does not need to sprawl out in order to store your life.

Next on the list is a good kitchen layout, because our current kitchen design is quite brainless, and hardwood floors. Definitely not carpeting. A relatively high and quiet room. The streetcars run in front of our place and we can easily hear every clank and rattle. Heck, we stay beside The Beer Store and a pub; we can easily hear every drunk song and confrontation as well. About a fortnight back, some drunk (probably) set fire to the recycling bin in front of the pub, at two ay-freaking-em in the morning.

So, back to my previous point, if we're going to be moving to another bachelor, we definitely would have to think more about optimizing storage. As in the case with laundry, I like packing and organization. Mike's terribly amused.

One reason we can live in such a small space, I find, is our computers. Back in Singapore, when we moved into our first place many moons ago, we had a lot of stuff; a hi-fi in the living room (with big speakers and all) and another more compact sound system in the bedroom, towers of CDs, books, photo albums, desktops... Now, everything is all digital and very, very compact. It was actually a relief selling and giving away just about everything. All of that, our entertainment and memory paraphernalia, are now stored in our (very light) laptops and portable hard disks. Sometimes I stare at my laptop and feel oddly amused that this is what a very large part of my life has been reduced to.

4 comments:

chocolate said...

Spring and Autumn are shrinking all around the world. I started notice this as early as in high school. So I'm actually satisfied enough to feel the shaky weather this spring in St. Louis.

rene said...

That's really odd. Coming from a tropical country, I've never really paid much attention to the turning of the seasons, but now I find it very interesting.

Jessica said...

About packing, all you need are those vaccumm bags that they sell in Singapore. I can get any size for about $2 to $3 from Daiso and Japan Home. Been buying a lot of those lately. Boxes take up same amount of space. Let me know if you need.

rene said...

I have those vacuum bags, but while they're good for most clothing, puffy clothing shouldn't be packed in them. Compresses the fill. Yeah, I know people say just pop into dryer on cool cycle to re-fluff, but don't want to take the chance with the expensive winter jackets. Thanks anyway. =)