Monday, February 11, 2008

ReNe: vote hillary!!

It's really irritating and depressing to read about the US elections. Personally, I like Hillary Clinton and hopes she wins. Now, my personal opinion of her aside, what gets to me is the way the media, public and other politicians treat her. To me, it shows how far, or not, female equality has come.

Who cares about the clothes she wears or how she looks? Should one vote for a president as they would 'America's idol'? And *even* if outer appearance is important, why aren't the male candidates given the same treatment? "Oh, look at his balding head (cue sniggers)" or "Why does he keep wearing the same boring navy suits over and over again?"

WORSE. Who cares if she can cook or not? Again, are they voting for a president or a cook? What's with all this scrutiny about her gender? Why do people always associate the kitchen with females? Did anyone even ask Obama if he can cook? DOES IT MATTER? Many say, and I agree, that the American public is not ready for a female president, regardless if there is a capable female candidate or not. To me, that's akin to being told there is a wonderful partner for you out there, gorgeous, smart, witty... but sorry, YOU'RE not ready for them.

I've heard that the Americans would rather vote for a black man than a woman -- the fact that racial/gender lines are even drawn is disgusting. Sure, who you are, your background and genetic makeup, all do determine in a large part the person you are, but an overly disproportionate amount of bitching, sorry DEBATE, seems to be devoted to this. If I had a vote, I would vote for Hillary Clinton because she is (more) experienced and capable. That's it. Not because she's a woman, not because the only other choice is a black.

I've also heard that Americans would rather vote for a gay than an atheist. And that's another interesting, and irritating and depressing, topic all together.

No comments: