So even though I'm in a different country, it's still Earth. I expect to get startled by culture differences, but once in a while, I get startled by something else entirely.
In Singapore, one keeps biscuits and other crunchies in air-tight containers quickly (that is, within 20 mins) after opening, otherwise they get soggy. Here? Let me put it this way -- one keeps stuff in containers to keep them moist or damp. The other day, I finished our container of demerara sugar (the brown, sticky-damp sugar used mainly in coffee) and at the bottom was a layer of dried, rock-hard sugar. The formerly damp sugar *dried* out. Soft cookies, breads and muffins, I've noticed, will dry out as well.
The thing that tends to startle me more than culture shocks are environmental shocks, when 'natural' laws *change*. When the sugar dries out, when temperatures fluctuates by more than 20 degrees from day to day, when the time of sunset changes every single day... Simply shocking.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment