Friday, February 29, 2008

ReNe: leapling

I've never paid much attention to the 29th of February before, but today, I came across this article on the BBC news website about whether or not the 29th of Feb should be considered a day off. Personally, I'm all for the brilliant idea.

Later, I was talking to a colleague about people who are born today -- or leaplings, as they're called -- and we were wondering about technicalities like legal age (to drink, drive, whatever) and census. Turned out, most countries simply take Feb 28 as the D.O.B for these leaplings. Of course that brings up another question: given that about 10,000 babies are born each day, how do the statistics people handle the sudden apparent spike in 'Feb 28 births'?

When I left work, it was snowing. In fact, it had been snowing heavily for the past few hours. Already this February is record-breaking:
The previous record dump for February in Toronto was 66.6 centimetres in 1950. This February has already seen 69.8 centimetres of snow fall. [The Star, Feb 26 2008]
So I suppose if it wasn't for the fact that today is still technically part of February (most Februarys measured only 28 days) the record would have be capped at 69.8... the expected amount forecasted for today was 5cm, though it felt like more. Somehow, I feel quite chuffed that the first winter I've experienced in its entirety is a record-setting winter.

No comments: