Wednesday, August 29, 2007

MiKE: picture post

On the first day, I came across this building in the vicinity of the Junction of Church and Isabella street. Just looked so much like a HDB 5 room point block apartment that I had to take a picture of it:

The Ubiquitous view of the CN Tower, which, apparently will be dethroned as the world's tallest free standing structure sometime this week by a structure in Dubai. This shot is looking south from the entrance to Grange Park, late at night when I walked back from OISE to Canadiana. This is the park that many of the local residents, notably the large Chinese population, and especially the senior citizens, would gather in the morning for the morning exercises.


Speaking of Chinese people - here is a shot of Chinatown, along Spadina Avenue, which I live, but about 1-2 km north of where this picture is taken. Does not look like what I would have imagined Toronto to be eh? Would have been unremarkable if one was told this shot was taken at Hong Kong/ Vietnam, isn't it?


One of the many stalls there. This one actually sold - look carefully now - longans and rambutans, and i think i saw a sign for durian somewhere. Did not check out the prices though; just browsed, took the picture and left. Serene noticed the sign for Toronto Fruits & Fruits.


A shot of the bunk beds in Canadiana - this is a quad share room, and I'm standing as far back as I can away from this bed, i.e. there is not much space in the room. Like I blogged about it - not the most neat, these people.

6 comments:

Unmasked said...

Hey!!!

This is awesome! Now I can follow both your lives at once! hahahaa...

It's also really sweet to see you both blog on the same blog from so far apart.

mike said...

not all that far apart what. 1200 or so kilometres - singapore to thailand kind of distance. Better than one being in the US/Canada, the other in Singapore :)

Jessica said...

Is this a picture of where you live? In a dorm? Not a cosy apartment like Serene?

mike said...

oh, sorry to disappoint. Have yet to upload pictures of my bachelor/studio /efficiency (what you call it depends on where you are) apartment.

I've only got myself my DSL modem/router/wireless (combo, this one does not depend on anything :) )today.

After a long wait, i finally have a connection! It's like finally being able to breathe again.

JL said...

Hmmm... the top bunk looks really really neat with those neatly-folded clothes. Must have been yours!

I remember the first night I spent at Bloomington in temporary housing; room was dark and gloomy, the whole place was largely unoccupied and quiet, shower stalls were spookily empty in the evening (couldn't help thinking of that scary shower scene from Psycho)...absolutely depressing. Then the next day when the sun shone and I saw the place in bright daylight for the first time, I didn't feel so bad.

mike said...

nah, that's not mine. Of course I would not put up pictures of my mess, right? :P