Woke up this morning at 8am feeling much better than last night, though comfort level was still very low. No food, no coffee, and the nearest place to eat (Wohl Center) was apparently not open till 11am. Went out at about 9 with two main aims: maps and coffee, but we got sidetracked at the residential life center when we found out we can get net access if we have an ethernet cable. Promptly went back to the room and dug around, and yes -- ethernet cable. Physical subsistence was forgotten as we logged on. Comfort levels now considered significantly higher.
Rene (my student mentor) picked us up at 10. First order of the day -- getting me a local mobile phone. Initially I thought I would have to sign a contract and get a new (hopefully) free mobile phone, but after much talking with the helpful guy at T-mobile, what I did instead was to get onto a monthly plan (no difference in charges between contract and monthly, except that I don't get a free phone) and continue to use my current mobile phone. I was pretty zoned out and in desperate need of some caffeine, nodding away and smiling vacuously, but in the end, I got a new SIM card and a new plan. So far, I still think it's a pretty good deal.
After that, breakfast. Blood sugar levels elevated, I was much better to pay attention as she brought us (me, Mike and Chialing) around the medical campus and pointed out good places to rent. Shopping at St Louis Union Station and Farmers' Market at Soulard followed. I'm really intrigued by the Farmers' Market. Reminds me of St Lawrence's Market in Toronto, but not as clean and much cheaper and bigger. Got to figure out how to get there on my own in the future. But by 3+, I was starting to feel jet-lagged and sleepy, and it was just as well Rene and Chialing were done for the day as well, so we all went back.
And, although we really shouldn't, we took a nap. Or more accurately, passed out from 4 till 9.
Note: (large) box of grapes and strawberries @$1 each, and bag of dozen mini bagels also @$1; Farmers' Market
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment