Wednesday, July 23, 2008

ReNe: wettest summer record

It's official -- this summer is Toronto's wettest on record. 272.8mm of rain, so far, over the months of June and July. It's fairly funny because all throughout winter, there was a lot of hype in the local news about breaking the all-time snow levels record, and I was excited as well because it was my first winter in Canada, but it only turned out to the third-heaviest for the record books in the end. In contrast, this summer didn't seem especially rainy and suddenly, it seems, Toronto just broke the heaviest rainfall records.

Unlike the locals, it does not seem terribly rainy to us. So I had to google -- what's Singapore's heaviest rainfall record?

In 1978, the highest rainfall recorded over 24 hours was 512 mm while the second highest rainfall recorded was 467 mm in 1969. And on 19 Dec 2006, the third highest on record, the 24-hour rainfall recorded was 366 mm.

All those numbers are rainfall recorded over ONE day.

And, because we actually remember that December of 2006, the amount of rain was
765.9 mm, which was a record for December since 1869.

We remember riding through the one on 19 December; we were on our way back to Singapore from KL. When the rain got really heavy and visibility dropped, we slowed down from 140km/h to 120, then 90. The North-South highway was jammed at parts so we had to occasionally moved to the shoulder to overtake the cars, and we passed by a few accidents. I remember the first accident: cresting the top of a hilly stretch, I looked down and was wondering about the black object in the middle of the road. Visibility was pretty poor, so I slowed down, and realized it was a smoking car, black because it was burnt. After that, we slowed down to 90km/h.

No comments: