Monday, July 28, 2008

ReNe: honor systems

There was an interesting story in one of the local news today about a cafe in Kitchener, Ontario, where the staff trusts you to pick up the food and pay by yourself (and pay the correct amount). I like the comment by the owner, "We price the bagel for you, but we trust you to pay it. Just like you trust us not to poison you."

I think it's a very good idea, this trust system, and I am all for it. The cafe reports that they don't lose money and that people are very honest. But since the article is all about singing praises about such a system, I'd like to note the odd downsides to this trust system. Some regulars are so impressed that they always tip generously (which can set up an uncomfortable expectation). One of the commenters noted that she has actually gone to the cafe, and while the food is good, the staff is unfriendly, the regulars smug and it's embarrassing for newbies to figure their way around the cafe. My question is, are the savings from not hiring extra staff passed to the customers? Also, can I forgo the tip, since I provide the service myself?

I was reminded of Annalakshmi, an Indian restaurant in Singapore. Not quite the same system; you pay how much you think the food is worth at the counter. Sounds like a good deal, right? I think so too. The food is really good, the staff (most) are courteous and I get the impression that customers tend to overpay because they're impressed; the restaurant borders almost on swanky. However, we tend to take the 'pay what you think the food is worth' quite literally and we always pay what we thought was fair, and the old lady at the cashier would always give us a slightly dark look. It's not because she's naturally sour-faced too; her disapproving sneer darkens or smooths out depending on how much we pay. I mean, I really do not think we're underpaying, but we're poor students and we can't really afford to tip generously. Moreover, the food is all vegetarian and not made from expensive ingredients. Once the food was badly cooked and we paid less than usual. Her face was black.

So yeah, does it seem like places that run on an 'honor' system then rely on a subtle pressuring and shaming to ensure that customers pay, and pay more in the form of tips? I can't say but it's an intriguing thought.

No comments: