Tuesday, May 20, 2008

ReNe: rented or owned, it's still your home

Adding to Mike's comments about doing up our new place...

As rentals go, this is quite different from the rentals we've stayed in so far. Usually, tenants are discouraged from doing any sort of permanent work to the room, but looking at this place, it's obvious that more than one tenant had felt free to make changes. In addition to the previous colored walls and artwork painted directly onto the walls, there are a couple of CD holders drilled into the wall under the bed loft, and a folding table by the main door, which incidentally was installed badly. Right now, we're scratching our heads over what to do with it -- re-install or not? If not, what do we do about the holes? Patch up and paint over, or find some wall scroll to cover, and then shove a table or bookshelf against it?

I'm amazed at the artwork on the walls. I think the tall 'painting' on the stairs was done by a fairly recent tenant (I found leftover skirting board in the closet, which was obviously used to create the frame), and looking around the apartment, it just seems to exudes bohemian vibes. I don't think the last tenant was the one who painted the wall artworks because he's apparently in the computer industry, but the reason he left was to go on a long, long tour around the world. A good omen, I'd say.

And, there are the hooks. There are hooks everywhere, of all sorts. There are three generously sized hooks over the main door (we've no idea what for), singular little screws here and there (I suspect for hanging artwork, because they're at eye-level), and at least five hooks in the ceiling, and a couple more under the loft.

On one hand, we're really glad to be able to customize our living space. Having owned apartments in Singapore, we've gotten used to the luxury of being able to do anything we want without having to 'seek permission'. The past two rentals I've stayed in the past year felt extremely temporary, like hostel rooms and not like a home, so I'm really looking forward to moving to this new place.

On the other hand, we're also wary of spending too much, as this is just a rental after all. There are still many things we wish to change (leaky faucets, a fridge so old it's not frost-free), but these fall under the responsibility of the building owner.

However, there are renters who would spend a lot of their own money on permanent improvements to the rental -- I'm talking hundreds, even thousands, spent on built-in cabinetry, appliances, landscaping in the garden, and so on. Their reasoning is that if they're planning to spend years in that apartment, they wouldn't mind paying to improve their living space. Also, for some, whether it's a restriction due to limited finances or a conscious choice, they would be living in rentals all their lives. Does this mean they will never live in a beautiful home? Somebody said it aptly: rented or owned, it's still your home.

That's a really interesting way of looking at it. At the other end of the spectrum, there are renters who have literally spent years living out of suitcases and boxes, always moving, never settling.

Personally, I think that if the rent is cheap enough, you could justify channeling the 'savings' towards doing up your pad. I would spend a bit, but certainly not thousands. Plus, there are ways to make-do or decorate without spending a lot of money.

More later. We've been remiss in updating because we're fricking tired. And I still had to go to work after spending the weekend painting...


No comments: