Saturday, August 1, 2009

ReNe: happy 3 months! (belated)


Books and friends all talk about the 3 month mark like it's a magical milestone; I almost expect Ryan to 'grow up' with a swirl of lights, Sims-style.

Well, the change is of course more gradual. He's feeding a little less frequently, from 10x a day to 7-8x a day. He's sleeping less during the day though he still sleeps 12 hours at night. And, most significantly, he's a lot more active. I estimate he spends about 7-8 hours awake each day and since he doesn't play by himself for too long yet, we spend a lot of time playing with him or even just holding him. He doesn't mind sitting in his rocking chair and will babble to himself or stare at some toys I pinned to a curtain, but he will only play by himself for perhaps 10, 20 minutes. He absolutely hates to lie down (on the bed) when he's awake; probably because he can't see us.

So far it's still quite exhausting. Fortunately he sleeps through the night, but he's still keeps us very busy during the day. Taking care of him is far more tiring than any (full-time) job I've ever had! He's constantly in flux, growing and upsetting whatever routine we think we would have set up every few days.

He's a lot more chatty and playful now, definitely exhibiting more of a personality, which is starting to look quite stubborn. He would babble to us, his cries sometimes take on a petulant and whiny edge when we don't seem to get whatever he's complaining about, and he smiles often. Last week, he started laughing too, particularly when we play peek-a-boo (a game I never thought I would find myself playing, but it amuses him). His needs are more complex now; he actually gets bored if he sits in one place for too long.

No comments: