Monday, August 4, 2008

ReNe: royal ontario museum

We finally got to see the Darwin exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) today.

(4th August is Canada's Civic Holiday)

When we first read about the Darwin exhibit at ROM many months back, we thought we should go one day. But there never was a good day to go; I had to work on weekdays or something would come up on weekends or we were simply too lazy. And then, we realized that 4th August -- today-- would be the last day of the exhibit. Talk about procrastination... we stay 10 mins away from ROM!

Anyway, we went to ROM today with Yew Jin, who was in Toronto this week for a conference so we offered a place for him to crash. We'd heard good reviews about the ROM and we weren't disappointed. The place was huge and the exhibits well done. I don't think we've even seen a third of what ROM has in store, and we were exhausted.

The problem with museums is that of information overload. I think I enjoy an exhibit best if I had some background to the subject. With the Darwin exhibit, that was the case -- I knew about the theory of evolution, his voyage on the Beagle, the Galapagos islands, the book 'Origin of Man', and so I could skim over the parts I already knew and linger on facts that I hadn't known before, such as the pictorial view of the Beagle voyage.

With some of the other exhibits, such as the one of the First Nations people, well, I didn't know that much and so found the deluge of information overwhelming. After a while, I just let it go; didn't bother reading all of the information boards and instead admired the items on display.


Yew Jin and Mike.


No comments: