Since we've moved to a bigger place, I've bought two plants (one mint and one ivy). From those two small pots, I've divided and re-potted them, and also started tomato and bell pepper seedlings. At the back of my mind, I knew winter would be a problem, but didn't dwell too long on it until yesterday, when temperatures dropped to 15C after a spell of rainy weather. Suddenly, it was like a preview of fall, cold toes and all.
And I wondered, just where was I going to put my pots in winter? I've seven potted plants now, eight if I count the succulent left behind by the previous tenant and which I never got around to throwing away. Luckily there is a skylight; unluckily Mike refused to let me move the microwave from the top of the fridge (which lies under the skylight) so I can put my plants there. Still, the amount of direct sunlight coming in through the skylight is not much; a pot can get perhaps an hour, unless I continually shift the pots to follow the sun's path. I suppose I can put them under reading lights at night as well.
Also, how cold is too cold? Below 10C? Below 5C? Growing plants here is very tricky, especially with the long winters. If you want to be able to harvest, there's even a schedule to follow. In Singapore, you don't have to think too much; just leave your pot out and water regularly, and seedlings can be started any time of the year.
Reading websites, there seem to be a lot involve in 'winterizing' gardens and potted plants. Already, I've missed the boat when it came to planting my tomato and pepper seedlings; apparently they should be started in spring so that they have ample time to grow in summer and be ready to harvest in fall. I started mine mid-summer and right now they're still small. Supposedly (potted) plants would grow slowly, if at all, during winter because of the reduced light and I'm to reduce the watering as well. Thus the tomatoes would have a (long) dormant period breaking up their usual growth cycle; hope that's fine.
Some notes:
And I wondered, just where was I going to put my pots in winter? I've seven potted plants now, eight if I count the succulent left behind by the previous tenant and which I never got around to throwing away. Luckily there is a skylight; unluckily Mike refused to let me move the microwave from the top of the fridge (which lies under the skylight) so I can put my plants there. Still, the amount of direct sunlight coming in through the skylight is not much; a pot can get perhaps an hour, unless I continually shift the pots to follow the sun's path. I suppose I can put them under reading lights at night as well.
Also, how cold is too cold? Below 10C? Below 5C? Growing plants here is very tricky, especially with the long winters. If you want to be able to harvest, there's even a schedule to follow. In Singapore, you don't have to think too much; just leave your pot out and water regularly, and seedlings can be started any time of the year.
Reading websites, there seem to be a lot involve in 'winterizing' gardens and potted plants. Already, I've missed the boat when it came to planting my tomato and pepper seedlings; apparently they should be started in spring so that they have ample time to grow in summer and be ready to harvest in fall. I started mine mid-summer and right now they're still small. Supposedly (potted) plants would grow slowly, if at all, during winter because of the reduced light and I'm to reduce the watering as well. Thus the tomatoes would have a (long) dormant period breaking up their usual growth cycle; hope that's fine.
Some notes:
- Mints require a nighttime minimum of 12 degrees Celsius and a daytime minimum of 16 degrees Celsius for active growth. Above 30 degrees Celsius growth slows. Normal ambient greenhouse humidity (70%) and lighting are adequate for mints.
- The ivy will do best in a temperature range from 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit (15 to 21 degrees Celcius). The maximum temperature an ivy will tolerate without added humidity is 75 degrees. The temperature range which an ivy tolerates but does not thrive in is 45 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
No comments:
Post a Comment