In the above photo, I was only wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt and skirt under my jacket, and the temperature was between 0-5 degree Celcius. In fact, I was even feeling a little warm -- note the open collar.Mike and I were joking that we are getting quite casual about the cold -- 10C is now 'warmish' for us, and we routinely head out in just our down jackets and a T-shirt under when the temperature hovers around zero.
Which led me to wonder: are we getting acclimatized to the cold, or is this what happens when we get the 'proper' gear?
When we bought the Canada Goose jackets, we were joking they were overkill, especially Mike's. Like buying a ST1300 in Singapore and then using only the first and second gear for city commuting. So yes, the right gear does play a role. In addition to my goosedown jacket, I was wearing a fur cap (unlike the fur ruff on my jacket, the fur on my cap is fake, but it does a good job of protecting my ears nonetheless) and insulated boots; smallish details that make a huge difference as well.
But I also think that we're getting used to cold. On days where we go back to using our older jackets, we find that we don't need as many layers as we did a month ago. So we *are* getting used to cold. This is something I thought about before -- having lived in a warm country all our lives, the only times we get to experience the cold is on vacation, and the transition from balmy tropical to chilly wintry conditions thus takes place in a matter of hours. And the experience (of winter) in our minds thus becomes exaggerated. However, if we make the transition from summer to winter over a few months, then we should be as used to the cold as the locals, shouldn't we?
I've heard 'horror' stories from Singaporeans about their first winter overseas, but interestingly enough, I find myself to be actually *enjoying* my first winter.
(I hope that last statement does not come back to jinx me later, as it is still only January and winter is hardly over.)
No comments:
Post a Comment