Wednesday, October 31, 2007

ReNe: mac failing on me...

Argh. I think I will have to boot to Windows after I post this.

Occasionally a program will hang, but as that used to be rare, I thought nothing of it. However, programs have been hanging a lot more frequently. Also, I have noticed a definite slow-down in many system processes and I often see the spinning beachball...

I think this system is in need of a complete re-install, but I'm reluctant to do so now as I really don't have the time to be stressing if something goes wrong, or even if everything goes right, the time to install the array of programs and configure the system. I guess having a 'backup' system in the form of windows is also tempting.

Even as I speak, gmail refuses to log in and just shows a white page... I'm starting to think I've extremely bad karma with computers; today, my Linux box in the lab utterly failed. It had been giving problems over the past few weeks, with seemingly random problems with paths and system permissions, and yesterday there was a moment of screen panic when I rebooted... lines flashing by, basically screaming 'error', and today, the machine just died, refusing to boot into X windows.

Well, time to log out. I haven't used Windows since leaving Singapore, except for the occasional Acrobat file that needed editing. Feels like I'm bailing ship, and that the ship's slowly starting to sink...

glug glug

No comments: