Friday, June 5, 2009

MiKE: Juggling work and family


Juggling work and family, originally uploaded by mike.tan.

Right now, Ryan has just passed the 1 month mark. This figure is somehow special; in Chinese culture, which I cannot claim to be an expert in, a celebration is held during the end of the first month of the child's life. Some other cultures will only give a name to the child at the end of the first month. I suppose, this has traditionally been due to the high infant mortality rate within the first month.

Ryan has definitely grown. Obvious signs include the fact that his arms now fit in his shirtsleeves properly; he is learning to kick quite strongly, and his head is less deformed. We think we settle into some routine, and manage to have a little more time for ourselves, then he will throw a spanner in the works. This last week, for example, he has been starting to need less sleep in the afternoons, and be fussy in the evenings. We'd try all sorts of things to distract and entertain him, but he is often not amused, and ends up crying. I suppose, to a large extent, things will get better, and I can't wait for that to happen.

Back to the picture - Serene was frustrated having to walk out of the room to get him and console him, that eventually, she decided to leave him on the change mat, right beside her as she worked. Somehow, this worked; seemed like all he wanted was to be close to his parents.

I came back from the office to find them together, and knew I just had to take this picture...

No comments: