Tuesday, May 4, 2010

ReNe: sick again

Ryan and me, that is.

For the longest time, since his third month, Ryan had a rash on his face (and body too, for a time). Then in January, when he was about nine months old, his rash started to improve and we were pretty happy. We thought that perhaps he would start to outgrow it.

Then he fell sick three times in the past three months. Right now, he's having a bad cold with runny nose and a hacking cough. I suppose such illnesses are normal and expected with kids, especially if they have opportunity to interact with other people, especially kids. Fortunately, compared to his rash, he would recover from his cold much more quickly.

But while he's sick, it's exhausting for me. He clings to me, is often whiny and reverts to a three-month old routine, which is to say he naps every three hours and he only wants breastmilk. That is perhaps the most worrying part; if he refuses solids for a day or two, that's fine, but often he'd only nibble a little solid food during the week while recovering as well. He doesn't have much by way of fat reserves so right now, after being sick for six days, he's looking a little skinny already. Well, I've heard of babies who are exclusively breastfed for a year or more without problems, so I shouldn't worry too much and just feed him every couple of hours.

Taking care of him is exhausting though, and I usually fall sick after. With the same bug he passed to me. Right now, I'm nursing a running nose. Arrrragh.

No comments: