Saturday, January 10, 2009

ReNe: south-east asia nostalgia

We were watching an episode of Top Gear, where the three hosts were sent to Vietnam, bought a motorbike (each) and rode from the south (Ho Chin Minh City) to the north (Ha Long Bay).

I was struck by a feeling of nostalgia. Typically, the challenges on Top Gear features a car race in a European county -- something rather foreign to me, as I can't drive and I haven't much familiarity with Europe. However, this show was shot in a Southeast Asian country, during the monsoon season, on motorbikes.

I miss it. As they complain about the heat and humidity, I can almost feel it. Though Singapore does not have highlands, the scenes of the misty mountains in the dusk remind me of many places in Southeast Asia -- evenings are my favorite time in Southeast Asia, cool and alive. (In contrast, evenings in Canada are mostly *cold*.) I even miss the heavy rains. I also wish I had a motorbike again.

I guess this is a particularly bad time to be watching such a show, as it's flurrying heavily outside in -10C temperatures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greener grass, and all that. I'm in hot and wet Singapore wishing for some crisp, cool weather.