Sunday, June 29, 2008

ReNe: it's summertime

Been really busy lately; there's always something to look forward to every weekend.

As the weather got warmer, people started to clear their houses and hold yard sales. I'm not a good bargain hunter and Mike wouldn't wait for me to really dig through the boxes, but I still managed to find a nice terra cotta plant pot for a loony (that's $1). That's me, in the floppy hat. I've gotten some strange looks when I wear that hat. I've noticed that many locals ang-mohs don't wear hats or sun-protection devices; many of them look like lobsters after a while. The guy I'm paying; he was pretty burnt.

This was taken quite a few weekends ago, when a section of Bloor street (near our place) was closed off for a street fair. Mostly it's people selling stuff, like a pasar malam, but there are also informational booths (new age-y stuff, etc.) and street performances, as shown in the photo above. I didn't get the performance, which consisted of two women miming on an empty stage, but I thought the retro pram was fun.






Two weeks ago, we went down to this food fest during Luminato, held at many places including the Distillery district. Despite the cheap outdoor seating, the food sold were classy restaurants samples. Everything cost $5 per serving... to be frank, most weren't worth $5, such as the tiny taco with lobster, and the pork cutlet bun with fancy salad filling. They barely lasted three chomps. But the pistachio ice-cream sandwich (below) was worth the $5.

After eating, we walked around the Distillery district, which was a former whiskey distillery. We haven't been there before, but I found it very nice. With old stone architecture and wide pavements, the district was full of character.


My new haircut. Looks a bit like a helmet... I'm not too pleased. Am still trying to decide if it's the hairdresser's fault (because it didn't look like the style I pointed to in the magazine) or if my hair's simply too dry or something.

No comments: