Thursday, December 6, 2007

MiKE: Winter is not always grey

So I went to OISE yesterday. Nothing unusual, except that classes had ended; I still have papers to submit, but I went for a social event (read: free food and entertainment). Woke up yesterday to a bright blue sky, perfectly cloudless, and yet, cold. Like, -2˚C kind of cold. The sun did not help much. I think the maximum temperature was not more than 5˚C or so.

I walked to OISE along the usual route, this time armed with a camera that I told myself quite many times already that I should carry, because there had been previous days where it had been pretty. Like yesterday. So, as I've said, there has been snow, lots of it. And as you can see, this is what happens to it: it gets ploughed off the road, and sidewalks, and forms a untidy little mound that separates the sidewalk from the road, such that crossing the street is only practical at designated crossings. Also, you can see that, yes, perhaps the first snow may be clean, white and 'pure' (with what's in the air, one cannot be too sure these days), but quickly, within a week, the snow becomes filthy. See the following picture. No, it's not soil, it's all snow, albeit with much muck:


Walking past this mound, I come across again, this sculpture, the one I encounter everyday. I really wonder what the name of it is, and what the person is trying to do...


Another shot of the mound of snow that separates the road and sidewalk. If you're observant, the street I'm along is actually Bloor West, the perpendicular one is St. George; I'm standing right outside the Bata Shoe Museum, and OISE is the overexposed building in the background:


A shot of the university marker, with the Robarts library in the distance, on the right corner of the frame:


The Varsity Blues, the stadium, where a game was going on in -2˚C weather. It was barely 8 minutes or so, but by this time, standing outside the OISE building and looking east, my right hand had been frozen; it was so cold. For those who know, you can see the Michael Lee-Chin crystal addition to the Royal Ontario Museum, and of course, everyone can appreciate the brilliant azure sky:


This is a shot, looking westward, from the 10th floor (out of 12) of OISE building, in a room where we usually have our classes. Once again, a beautiful sunset, this one at 5:00 pm.

Forgive the blurring; these were the artifacts from shooting out a pretty dirty window.

No comments: